- The Fulbright US Student Program funds international postgraduate awards for students and individuals to:
- Complete a degree at specified institutions,
- Conduct a long-term research project, and
- Teach English in international classrooms.
- The award pays travel expenses, insurance, and a living stipend; it could also pay tuition benefits, research allowances, etc.
- Applicants will be considered by the quality & feasibility of the proposal, academic or professional record, personal qualifications, language preparation, and the extent to which the candidate and the project will help to advance the Fulbright goals.
- You must have at least a bachelor’s degree by the time you start your Fulbright fellowship.
- There is no minimum GPA requirement although there are some country-specific limitations. Additionally, there is a diversity preference
The application opens April 1, the BYU deadline is August 30th, and the foundation deadline is around the first or second week in October.
If you plan to submit an application for the Fulbright Student Program you are required to meet with James Mayo (the BYU Fulbright Program Administrator) between April 1 and June 1 the year you plan to apply to discuss the program and your application. Visits prior to April 1 are encouraged. Additionally, please note the deadlines on the Prestigious Scholarships Deadlines page. For this scholarship, you will submit three items to James' office (electronically at firstname.lastname@example.org) by the BYU deadline listed in the calendar. These items are:
- A PDF file of your completed Fulbright application
- The list of those who will be writing your letters of recommendation
- Three other references (individuals who are not writing your letters of recommendation).
Your application materials will be reviewed by a university committee, and that committee will decide if Brigham Young University will endorse your application. The committee may request a personal interview with you before a decision is reached. You will be informed of the committee’s decision by the date listed on the calendar.
For more specific questions about the Fulbright, please contact James Mayo at email@example.com.